Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sensible Solutions for Busy Moms

I'm not an Idiot, I'm just BUSY!

Moms – the plain and simple fact is….we are busy. Busy to the point that when we make our way down the aisle at the store, our eyes are drawn to the products that look and SAY …”I’m healthy!”

The comment above was made by a busy mom who is very close to me – my son’s step-mom, Michele. She had called me asking if I heard about the new Capri Sun Roaring waters for kids. She was excited that she had found such a great, healthy drink for the boys.

I was skeptical….It IS Capri Sun….so my first response was that she flip that package around and take a look at the ingredients list. She was silent at first as she quickly skimmed through the list. In a matter of seconds she could not hold back her surprise.

This is what she found:

Ingredients: WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CITRIC ACID, SUCRALOSE (SPLENDA BRAND SWEETENER), NATURAL FLAVOR.

“I’m not an idiot, I’m just busy” as she explained to me that the entire reason she even picked this product up was the fact that it stated – all natural, made with fruit PLUS it had the green “Sensible Solutions” flag on the corner.

Based on the information listed in the ingredients list, it’s not much different than drinking Kool-Aid or soda.

And what is “natural”? "Natural" is defined by the USDA as any product "containing no artificial ingredient or added color and [that] is only minimally processed (a process which does not fundamentally alter the raw product)."

Yes, we all need to be drinking more water. But since when should water contain a list of strange ingredients and no one needs the extra sugar.

Your lesson here today…"Sensible Solutions" deserve a second look. A busy mom should not sacrifice the time it takes to take a peek inside the foods we (and our children) are consuming.

No comments: