Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Doctors, Star Wars and Super Heroes

Tyler's Visit to the Neurologist

Thank you once again for all your support and prayers regarding the scare with Tyler. Like the women on ClubFYM have shared, he is like our little FYM mascot! It has been a stressful past two weeks and I have a quick update to share.

Yesterday we met the Top pediatric neurologist around. - Dr. Puri and yes, he was awesome.

Even though Dr. Puri shared that Tyler would most likely have another seizure, likely to occur during sleep transition, he was VERY reassuring. The DR would like to know more so has us scheduled for an MRI and a second EEG in the next few weeks. There are no definitive answers. But in these instances as I am learning from what I have researched as well as what many of you have shared with me, this is common. Will there be another? We do not know. More of a wait and see type situation.

In the meantime, life goes on - but definitely with a whole new perspective.

As I shared in my newsletter and blog post, as a Mom, it is so very important to stop and take a moment to appreciate the little things around you. Next to our own needs, one of the biggest areas that is easily gets overlooked in our super busy lives, is time with our children. It is one thing to be by their side and keep a watchful eye, but it is a totally different experience when you put yourself in the moment with them.

There are hundreds of precious moments that we miss out on due to our over-scheduled, stressed out, chaotic days.

Life is not meant to be spent this way. In the end...what will the stress leave with you...or think about it like this....what is it stealing away?

We are so very fortunate as Mother's to have this constant reminder provided by our children.


Take time out for you and your children.
Love them.
Kiss them.
Hug them.

Look into their eyes and really listen to what they are saying. They have many valuable lessons to teach us.

Tyler has been awesome during all of this too. I have explained to him what has happened and why we need to go to the DR. In his precious way of making sense of it all he asked me....

"Mommy? What if the Dr. finds something wrong with my brain?"

I explained to Tyler that no matter what the Dr. says, that he will be just fine. Tyler thought about this for a moment and then asked...

"Mommy? Are you like a Star Wars character?"

I was curious and asked "What do you mean?"

"Star Wars characters can sense things and you can sense that there is nothing wrong."



Ah, the magical thinking of children. And in their eyes, we are their super heroes. Why not go one step further than just saving and protecting them and actually do them the honor of stepping into their world and touching their lives in a way that no one can.


My Mom just sent this quote to me -it fits quite well with this message:

Soul cannot exist when our connections in life remain superficial. An experience of soul requires that we take time to be fully present to the details of our lives.

Explore what happens when you take the time to STOP and PAY ATTENTION. When we choose to slow down and really experience the qualities of our lives, we get a whole new perspective on what living’s all about.

'We must not allow the clock and the calendar to blind us to the fact that each moment of life is a miracle and mystery.'

-- H. G. Wells

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Holly, you and Tyler are such an inspiration....it is so true about our children. I've realized as I've matured (!) that it is so important to stop and listen. Being aware of our surroundings and the blessings we have received is so important as life does just fly by in an instant! Knowing that I only have about three more years with my boys before they are off to college makes the time I have with them every day even more precious. Keep the faith Holly...it seems like you have a really good doctor for Tyler. Thanks for the update and inspirational message from your Mom.

Unknown said...

First of all, thank you for all your inspiration! It is really helping me to get rid of my bad habits and laziness! Secondly, I hope you know that we are all praying for your family and for your son Tyler. God will help you to cope in these trying times, just ask him. Ask him for healing, believe, and all will be well. God loves us all so much! We should always remember this, and love each other, too! God bless!

Anonymous said...

Continued prayers for your little guy, and for you. Nothing worse than being a mom and not being able to take away our childrens hurts!!

Holly, I have a friend who's child started this. It ended up being tuberous sclerosis. Just throwing that out there. I guess its hard to test for unless you know to test for it.

I'm just going to pray for a great prognosis and it was just a onetime thing!!

Anonymous said...

a poem written especially for busy moms!

Just for this morning, I am going to smile when I see your face and laugh when I feel like crying.
Just for this morning , I will let you choose what you want to wear, and smile and say how perfect it is.
Just for this morning, I am going to step over the laundry, and pick you up and take you to the park to play.
Just for this morning, I will leave the dishes in the sink, and let you teach me how to put that puzzle of yours together.
Just for this afternoon, I will unplug the telephone and keep the computer off, and sit with you in the backyard and blow bubbles..
Just for this afternoon, I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck, and I will buy you one if he comes by.
Just for this afternoon, I won't worry about what you are going to be when you grow up, or second guess every decision I have made where you are concerned.
Just for this afternoon, I will let you help me bake cookies, and I won't stand over you trying to fix them.
Just for this afternoon, I w ill take us to McDonald's and buy us both a Happy Meal so you can have both toys..!
Just for this evening, I will hold you in my arms and tell you a story about how you were born and how much I love you.
Just for this evening, I will let you splash in the tub and not get angry.
Just for this evening, I will let you stay up late while we sit on the porch and count all the stars.
Just for this evening, I will snuggle beside you for hours, and miss my favorite TV shows.
Just for this evening when I run my finger through your hair as you pray, I will simply be grateful that God has given me the greatest gift ever given.
I will think about the mothers and fathers who are searching for their missing children, the mothers and fathers who are visiting their children's graves instead of their bedrooms, and mothers and fathers who are in hospital rooms watching their children suffer senselessly, and screaming inside that they can't handle it anymore.
And when I kiss you good night I will hold you a little tighter, a little longer. It is then, that I will thank God for you, and ask him for nothing, except one more day..............

Natalie said...

Oh Holly,
My heart goes out to you, girl. I have only been a mother for almost 4 months with a baby boy whom I love more and MORE every day... I can ONLY imagine what you might be going through right now. My prayers are with YOU! I pray for healing and health for your little man, Tyler...
I hug and kiss my little one as if there's no tomorrow... Love for a child is such a powerful feeling it's hard to imagine until you become a mother. You are always in my thoughts!!!

Thank you for your amazing work (FYM) and your open heart to help your fellow ladies. You are an amazing woman, my inspiration!!
May God bless you and Tyler; your whole family!

PS. Check this link out, this might help Tyler... read it and if any questions, I would love to answer!!! https://www.mannatech.com/Default.aspx
Look up Ambrotose, that's the glyconutrients. They also have AMAZING supplements for children.
Read up on Glyconutrients online (sorry no link on hand), which help build your immune system and cell to cell communication. I would love to answer any questions you might have. We take many of their supplements, including glyconutrients.

Love,
Natalie

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Holly,

Here's one link I have on Glyconutrients. http://www.cooperative.the-wellness-channel.org/index.php

This helped many people with MANY different issues, it could help Tyler.

XOXO!